Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Brockholes Quarry 16/7

Today I went with Peter to Brockholes to do some botanising. Sneezewort we found. Water Mint
Common Water Plantain

Musk Mallow.
We went for this little thing. Northern Yellowcress. It needs sandy banks to be dry in order to grow. The place where it was growing 3 years ago was full of water. We trekked around a bit and found this and a similar plant with fruit pods on it.
This is the leaf. I am still waiting to find out if it is indeed northern yellow cress.
Pink Water Speedwell
Scented Mayweed - It smells like vanilla.

Whilst looking for broad leaved ragwort on the river, I used my telephoto lens to try and get a photo. It is ok when taken into account that the birds were specks on the other side of the river.
Gypsywort
I also took this lapwing photo with the telephoto lens.
Marsh Cudweed
Monkeyflower
This is a scarce variation of common spotted orchid : albiflora. The flowers are perfectly white with no spots. The leaves aren't spotted either.

Alsike Clover
There were lots of burnet moths.
Field Scabious


1 comment:

Steve Halliwell said...

Jack

I think this series of photos is great. I enlarged the water plantain, and I think it makes a fantastic picture.

Well done!

Stephen H.