Today we went to Mere Sands Wood. We did very well with the weather! This reed warbler was singing in the reeds and I managed to get a photo when he went into the surrounding alders.
The marsh helleborines were numerous.
.jpg)
On the meadow, there were both species of bartsia, red and yellow. This is the red.
This is yellow bartsia.
There was a huge patch of royal fern - a Mere Sands Wood speciality.
The Canada geese had goslings.
This was special! The green flowered helleborine. The flowers rarely open fully.
They have to cage the helleborine off so the rabbits don't eat it.
This is the first hedgehog I have seen alive. It is scary because I was saying to A woman called Joyce that I had never seen a hedgehog about half an hour beforehand!
There were white water lillies.

There was a patch of the totally white herb robert.

The marsh helleborines were numerous..jpg)
On the meadow, there were both species of bartsia, red and yellow. This is the red.
This is yellow bartsia.
There was a huge patch of royal fern - a Mere Sands Wood speciality.
The Canada geese had goslings.
This was special! The green flowered helleborine. The flowers rarely open fully.
They have to cage the helleborine off so the rabbits don't eat it.
This is the first hedgehog I have seen alive. It is scary because I was saying to A woman called Joyce that I had never seen a hedgehog about half an hour beforehand!
There were white water lillies.
There was a patch of the totally white herb robert.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)



4 comments:
Very good Jack, I'd no idea you'd seen a hedgehog.
I think the fumitory is the Purple Ramping Fumitory (Fumaria purpurea)
See you next week, hopefully.
Stephen
Great pictures as always.
I'm still enjoying your blog and (hopefully) absorbing some of your botanical knowledge :)
Best regards
Terry M
did you manage to see the spurge laurel after I gave you the directions?
did you manage to see the spurge laurel after I gave you the directions?
Post a Comment