Friday, 4 July 2008

Cuerden 4th July

Today I decided to go to Cuerden to take advantage of the sunny weather - its supposed to be trash this weekend. Anyway I was chuffed to find greater knapweed. This is one awkward plant to photograph because the flowers are so small and it is always usually in deep shade in woods. Enchanters nightshade.
These are the fruits of wood avens.
This is the flower of wood avens.
I thought this was a marsh mallow at first, but it turns out that it is actually a white form of musk mallow.
This is greater burdock.
The broad leaved helleborines arent flowering yet.
Monkshood is so close to flowering!
Rosebay willowherb is out.
The mallards are all going into eclipse plumage. This male is starting to turn brown on his green head.
I must have took 50 photos of these 2 damselflies mating and this was the best. They must have been at it for half an hour. It is amazing how they can fly together while mating at the same time.

Purple Loosestrife is out.

I went back to get a better photo of the marsh woundwort.


Right. Tomorrow I'm working for six hours and then on Sunday I'm going on a wild flowers walk up in Cumbria. The target plant is the Dark Red Helleborine. The weather is forecast to be horrible but they always change it the night before anyway.

No comments: